Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Beginning of the End

This was something I never figured would happen… I made a blog. After telling myself I wouldn't do it for nearly two years I broke down and finally gave it a shot.

A little about myself, I am an 18 year old college student. Before I get into what college I go to or how I ended up there I would like to share a little story:

At the age of 7 I made my way up to Fenway Park with my dad. He was a huge Red sox fan, and thus I was decked out in Boston Attire. We were running a bit late for the game, and by the time we sat down it was the top of the second. Almost immediately Derek Jeter hit a ground rule double in the right field seats just a few rows above us. This not only gave the Yankees the lead, but gave them a life time fan. My dad's disappointment and attempted convincing simply made me even surer of my decision (apparently I had reached the rebellious stage a little early). From this day on I have pulled for the Yankees, through the great years, 1998, well any of the late 90's, to the lowest of lows, 2001 world series, 2004 alcs.

I do have to say that the most memorable play in my mind was Aaron Boone's home run of Wakefield in 2003. Despite the subsequent series.

As strange as it is, I know find myself back in Boston for college. I have just recently completed my freshman year at Boston College. At BC things have been quite surprising actually, as I have found a large quantity of Yankees fans, and even a noticeable amount of Phillies fans (now that's rough).

When I got to BC, the Yankees had mounted their comeback and came very close to taking the division from the Boston Red Sox. But when they fell to Cleveland 3-1, I was forced to leave my room (a quad, 1 sox fan, 1 other yanks fans, 1 phillies fan) proceeded to punch a concrete wall, and take a half hour walk outside. I didn't hear or feel the end of that night for awhile, despite arguing that the red sox fell behind the Indians 3-1 as well.

I leave you with a few final words:

Go Yankees! (and to make you jealous, I have gotten all but one of cliff lee's starts for my fantasy team)

No comments: